Licensing and Inspections
Licensing and Inspections Department
COVID-19 Scheduling Process for Rental and Property Inspections
- Upon receiving the application and payment, the L&I Department will schedule the appointment and notify the application as to the date and time
- All inspections will be scheduled at least six days out from the date the completed application and fee are received.
- Emergencies will be addressed on a case by case basis.
- L&I will make contact via telephone number provided and personally speak with the applicant or leave a voicemail. If a voicemail is left, it will be followed up with an email to the address provided.
- A representative is to meet the inspector at the front of the property.
- If an appointment is missed, a fee will be assigned.
All other inspections (building, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, fire, etc) are to be scheduled by contacting L&I via email (preferred) at LNIadmin@pottstown.org or 610-970-6520.
The Licensing and Inspections Department oversees:
- Property transfer inspections
- Rental inspections for rental licenses
- Issuing permits
- Contracting and business licenses
- Land development
The Borough of Pottstown refers to the following codes:
- 2015 International Building Code for all commercial properties. Building permits are required for alterations as well as new construction.
- 2015 International Fire Prevention Code regulates the issuance of permits and inspections for certain activities.
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code requires properties to be maintained to a minimum standard.
- 2015 International Plumbing Code requirements for plumbing work.
- 2014 National Electrical Code for all electrical work in the Borough.
- 2015 International Mechanical Code sets the requirements for heating systems and pressure vessels.
- 2015 International Residential Code for all residential properties. Building permits are required for alterations as well as new construction.
- These codes can be found by visiting the International Code Council website. View the updated Administration of ICC Code (PDF)
The Borough of Pottstown also has a Shade Tree Program to help bring nature into our town.